Sunday, October 16, 2005

Having not paid much attention to it other than the rising costs, I had somewhat ignored the Scottish parliament building. However, following the announcement of the Stirling prize for architecture, I had a look at pictures and plans of it and, half a billion or not, I'm really impressed. The idea is that it is a transition between the architecture of the buildings of Edinburgh and the countryside of Scotland and I think it does this very effectively. It's a huge mix of styles from parts which look a little like Hunndertwasser to Gaudiesque curves and blocks which are rather like some of the Liebeskind designs. Anyway, here are a few photos of the interior and exterior. Make of it what you will.






































Apart from this, I've finished Sweet Thursday which is just as good if not better than Cannery Row. It looks in detail at how some of the characters from Cannery Row have been changed by the war, specifically the Doc. The Doc is also the central character in the first book though both are narrated more through the characters of the Palace Flophouse. Some very bleak parts to it and I shan't give away the ending but another excellent Steinbeck.

Ahead of me is a hugely hectic week which begins tomorrow with the removal of my remaining two wisdom teeth plus an attempt to get travel insurance for two years which will not cost me my entire salary. Fun fun fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's the mouth?

May I recommend some poppadoms and a chicken vindaloo for you tonight. Wash it down with some dettol and then stuff your mouth with newspaper to stem the bleeding. Go on. Be a man.

Anonymous said...

Possibly a little late now, but this podcast might be of use...

http://podcasts.yahoo.com/series?s=16407703049c6994a49d72080762dc85

Unknown said...

Cheers, that looks like a really useful site, and no, it is by no means too late.

I've been told I'm only allowed cold liquids until tomorrow and then solids by Thursday. bugger!