Thursday, September 29, 2005

I've officially moved out of Southampton. It's been a great 15 months in the house on Highfield lane and I'm going to miss it. It's also a pain to have to move again for the seventh time in as many years. It would be great to be settled for a decent length of time and have my own place. It's going to be another few years yet. Last night was spent at another gig. Chatted to a guy in a second han bookshop and it turned out he plays Jackson C Frank in the Bent Brief on a Thursday night as part of the open mike night. Good fun but a bit shambolic after Derrin the previous evening.

So having taken two car loads bursting at the seams back to Oxford I have gone from this idyllic paradise:














To this chaotic mess:














Along with the other boxes of books lying in wait to receive a designated shelf, most of my stuff is still in storage where it will remain for the next two years when I go to China. I've still got to find some way of transporting my papers and clothes without slipping a disk.

On the book front, I've now finished 'The Interpreter of Maladies' by Jhumpa Lahiri. Having been left a little luke warm by the first few stories, it turns into a rather charming collection. Most of the stories don't feel like they have a particularly structured beginning or end but just tell a passage in one or two people's lives. Often the stories set themselves up for a twist which is never the obvious one and the last few pages of each one turns the passage from a simple narrative into a thought-provoking account. Having lived in three fairly different cultures, Lahiri's stories have interesting quirks that give a glimpse into each part of her upbringing.

Anyway, I will read it again some time soon to see if the first stories come to life with a little more thought. Next I'm going to read 'Immortality' by Kundera which I'm really looking forward to. Having enjoyed all of his books but 'Slowness' this one should be great.

No comments: