Tuesday, October 02, 2007

New horizons

Work is winding down as I finish off some odds and ends (all nonetheless important) and I try and work out how much I am going to be ripped off by as I send my books to Spain by ship. Packing up of the flat is currently consisting of friends coming round to relieve me of the piles of DVDs and books which I won't be taking with me. Somehow I need to find an extra zero in the British Airways baggage allowance.

I head off on Sunday to Couchsurf in Chengdu and then go straight to Jiuzhaigou to hike for a few days. I've just bought myself a prime lens (Canon 50mm f/1.8 II) to get me some fine pictures in the dawn and dusk, along with a relatively cheap tripod (I've no large telephoto lens to worry about stabilising) and a remote control.
Midi festival cameraman
(Taken at the 2007 Midi festival, Beijing)

(Trivia - Kubrick's Barry Lyndon uses a NASA built f/0.7 lens for the candlelit scenes - perhaps the largest aperture lens used in film history.)


Lapa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Holy ettlz said...

Hi Jon, nice to hear you've got your hands on a "Nifty". It's a great little lens --- very sharp, good colours. I look forward to seeing some really shallow DoF in your Flickr photostream!

Jonathan Shock said...

Yep, they're on their way :-)